Welcome to my website! I am an artist, interface designer and researcher who has worked in a variety of activities, including:
• Sound canvasses, interactive sculptures and installations.
• Electronics design engineering.
• Composition for orchestra, chamber ensembles and solo performers.
• Seminars, lectures and private tuition.
• Academic and educational publications.
I have recently earned a PhD from the University of Liverpool and my specialisation is in the design of sound interfaces for lighting and spatial sound interaction.
I am a member of the TNW (Transformation North West, NWCDTP/AHRC), VRN (Visual Research Network), CAVA (Centre for Architecture and Visual Arts) and ICCaT (Interdisciplinary Centre for Composition and Technology).
Currently, I am providing technical services for the Tung Auditorium and other venues in Liverpool.
In addition to my artistic work, I’m also the founder of Sonalux Ltd, a startup aiming to design new technology for musicians. Check Sonalux‘s website for more information.
My research areas of interest are:
• Sound-light interface design.
• Ecological art and energy harvesting.
• Sensors, microcontrollers (Arduino, ESP32, Teensy) and Max (MSP/Jitter).
• Digital sound art, virtual concerts and AR.
• Interactive sculptures and installations.
• Sound spatialisation.
• Art aesthetics.
Some of my sound canvasses are now available for exhibition, get in touch.
Next performance/event dates:
25/09/2022 – 12pm – Workshop – Scriabin @150 Conference – Caversham, Reading
ps://www.qas.org.uk/calendar/2022-09-24/scriabin-150-conference-celebration/ 23/06/2022 – 8pm – Free Admission – Imagined Soundscape Workshop – Late at Tate – Tate Liverpool – https://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-liverpool/radical-landscapes/late-at-tate-liverpool 27/04/2022 – 1pm – Free Admission – Ol ivier Messiaen, Birds and Colours – Performing Nature – Light Design by Ian Costabile – https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/music/events/lunchtime-concert-series/ 02/03/2022 – 1pm – Free Admission – James Kreiling plays Late Scriabin – Light Design by Ian Costabile and Taran Harris + ‘Insekta’ Light Sculptures – https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/music/events/lunchtime-concert-series/