Welcome to my website! I am a composer, interface designer and researcher who has worked in a variety of artistic productions, including:
• Composition for orchestra, chamber ensembles and solo performers.
• New media art, interactive sculptures and installations.
• Design of musical interfaces.
• Seminars, lectures and private tuition.
• Academic and educational publications.
I have recently earned a PhD from the University of Liverpool and my specialisation is in the design of musical interfaces, with a focus on lighting and spatial sound interaction.
I am a member of the TNW (Transformation North West, NWCDTP/AHRC), VRN (Visual Research Network), CAVA (Centre for Architecture and Visual Arts) and ICCaT (Interdisciplinary Centre for Composition and Technology). I also participate occasionally in Drake Music‘s meetings to chat about accessible technology.
In addition to my artistic work, I’m also the founder of Sonalux Ltd, a startup aiming to design new sensor devices for musicians. Check Sonalux‘s website for more information.
My research areas of interest are:
• Sound-light interface design.
• Ecological art and energy harvesting.
• Sensors, microcontrollers (Arduino, ESP32, Teensy) and Max.
• Digital sound art, virtual concerts and AR.
• Interactive sculptures and installations.
• Sound spatialisation.
• Art aesthetics.
Next performance dates:
27/04/2022 – 1pm – Free Admission – Olivier Messiaen, Birds and Colours – Performing Nature – Light Design by Ian Costabile – https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/music/events/lunchtime-concert-series/
02/03/2022 – 1pm – Free Admission – James Kreiling plays Late Scriabin – Light Design by Ian Costabile and Taran Harris + ‘Insekta’ Light Sculptures – https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/music/events/lunchtime-concert-series/